- 26 Jun 2013
Alex, Aron, Karin, Sam
What shifts can be identified in the locational discourse surrounding Snowden's case?
What topics were dominant in the Twitter discourse around Snowden between july 20 till july 26?
- In TCat search Snowden within PRISM dataset
- Create a .csv file that contains hashtag frequencies.
- identify the top 5 hashtags per day
- identify how these hashtags appear over the entire period
- calculate what percentage these hashtags appear per day
- visualize in excel
What were the main themes in the SNOWDEN query in the PRISM dataset between july 9 till july 26?
What terms were associated with these locations in the Twitter discourse around Snowden on these dates?
- Tag cloud - per day - synthesizing the main themes - get some #s, compare to general words.
- If we found places - Do tag clouds of places on a per day basis
- Find links between places and extratiodion discourses - corellation (statistical analysis) between places and themes.
- We identified the top places in the themes and visualized them outside the SNOWDEN query using through co hashtag analysis
- the discourse around PRISM is defined by DMI (keywords: nsa, palanteer, prism, spying, cyberwar, wiretap)
- we search for SNOWDEN within this discourse to try and isolate discourse around snowden more specifically (keyword: snowden)
- hashtags PRISM, SNOWDEN, and NSA dominate, making it hard to note minor topical shifts
- problem in dataset because backup system at 4:00 am
- no geographical locations mentioned in top hashtags
- Co-hashtag analysis instead of co-word analysis
TENTATIVE CONCLUSIONS PART 1:
- What kind of locations are being discussed? [these locations digitally grounded]
The matrix shows an indicates a shift from a focus on Hong Kong (where he was). To America and China to an interlude of Britain and Iceland. Last couple of days Hong Kong, Ecuador, Moscow/Russia.
TENTATIVE CONCLUSIONS PART 2:
- Fugitive Geographies - Iceland (19-20 june): Assange, wikileaks, Asylum, Whistle-blower
- Fugitive Geographies - Hong Kong (20-24 june): Speculations (moscow, russia, cuba, venezuela), wikileaks (surveillance & whistleblower moving away)
- Fugitive Geographies - Moscow (25-26 june): hollidayinnfullofspies-hotel-motel, extradition-wikileaks-whistleblowers, political outfall (poetin, russia)
See our powerpoint presentation: Where_in_the_world_is_Edward_Snowden_-_Final.ppt